Faml blog #10

 

The peer reviewed article I chose to review for this blog post on bother relationship to children is the following;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6415916/

 

This study includes 2,970 U.S. families who participated in the Fragile Families and Child Well-Being Study. The father involvement at age 1, and child reports of father-child relationship quality at age 9.

Involvement with fathers during childhood was positively associated with the father-PGF relationship at child age 1, which in turn was associated with greater father involvement at age 1. More father involvement at age 1 was associated with child reports of better father-child relationships at age 9. The pathways from PGF involvement during fathers’ childhood and father-PGF relationships at age 1 to father-child relationship quality at age 9 were fully mediated by father involvement at age 1.

During this study 50% of the children studied were of non Hispanic-black population. 25% were up Hispanic population with non-Hispanic white being 20%.

The conclusion that was derived from the study was that Patterns of father involvement and the quality of father-child relationships tend to be passed down across generations. To ensure active, positive father involvement and its associated benefits for children, parenting interventions should focus promoting positive fathering behaviors to promote positive relationships with children in their own and future generations.

I've found this to follow my lifestyle also as I'm at the age of 76 and have a son that is 56 years old.

my lifestyle had a father that was not involved with his children. Like in the study he was supportive in monetary factor raising as children but was not involved in our life. This was done by my mother who did all the rearing and responsibilities for child raising. It must be pointed out that at my age I was growing up during the 1950s and my lifestyle at that time would not seem to be able to be correlated to today's society.

I spent most of the year with my aunt and uncle growing up on their farm. I consider them to be more of my parents than I my actual parents. this was shown by my uncle taking direct interest in my hobbies and how I was being taught while under his care. I could feel the direct interest that he had towards me compared to my own father.

when I had my own child, I was interested in becoming a better father figure for him. However in detriment to this was the fact that it was just back out of the Vietnam conflict being a Sergeant in the Marine Corps. Because of that I still had that military attitude towards leadership. I found like in this study I was a father figure that provided financial means and did not take a direct part in his early upbringing. this was caused M part by the fact that I was served in Vietnam from when he was eight months old until the time he was 22 months old. This was a critical child development stage when I was considered a remote father providing the financial support but not being able to be there for him. It was not until he reached teenage years when change occurred.

 Because his mother and I divorced when he was 15 years old. He elected to stay with me which put the folding mands of raising a 15 year old son on my part. There was no financial support from his mother due to divorce decree. that's like any single parent I was required to work full time and to try to raise a somewhat rebellious 15 year old son. There are times like any normal father son relationship where he did not feel like he should follow what either parent wanted him to do. This to is a normal growing pains 4 and a child where they start questioning the guidance and life of what the parent is saying and doing.

he is now 56 years old and we have a good relationship. I do not get to see him and his wife as much as I would like to because of the distance between where they live and myself (they live in Canada).

It would seem that this study confirms that a active involvement by the father towards his young child is needed and it will carry through the next generation. my life has resembled parts of this study where you have the father provided providing financial support but yet not being actively involved with the child. Because of the lifespan that I have had I have been able to note the differences that can be achieved when the father takes an active role in the life of the child beyond providing financial support.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog